Wilkesbarre Pennsylvania History

According to USGA records, Wyoming Valley Country Club was officially founded on June 16, 1896 and is one of the oldest golf clubs in the United States and the second oldest in Pennsylvania. Its early history is interwoven with the history of its golf course, but it also has a colorful history.

The Wilkes-Barre newspaper reported extensively on the Bradford County area and the Susquehanna River. This list covers the history of the city from its beginnings to the early 20th century. Unlike other communities that existed at that time, many marriages and deaths are not recorded in this list.

Bradford County was not officially founded until 1812, but a little-known fact is that the entire region, then called Westmoreland, became the city of Litchfield County, Connecticut, with the county itself 200 miles east. Bradford County residents can be found in the records of the Connecticut lawsuit. A little more than a century later, Wilkes - Barre, then Pennsylvania's largest city - was Pennsylvania's second largest city after Luzerne County, with 563,631 residents. By comparison, in 1890, the population of Luzernes County was about the same as the population of Wilks-Barre in what is now Pennsylvania.

While peace and order were created by the creation of these new counties, life in northeastern Pennsylvania became - if one can use such a term - fairly ordinary, as settlements in America rapidly occurred along the Atlantic coast.

In 1758, the Iroquois made a general peace with the English, and the Indians of Delaware under Chief Teedyuscung settled in the Wyoming Valley. Connecticut Yankees settled their preferred townships, while Pennsylvania Germans from other parts of Pennsylvania quickly settled in the southern part of the county. To make matters worse, white settlers had already expropriated their land and expropriated it from their homelands.

Pennsylvania tenants settled in Mill Creek that same month, and the state's new government immediately asked Congress to clarify the Wyoming Valley's claims between Pennsylvania and Connecticut. At the end of the year, the Susquehannah Company in Hartford, Connecticut decided to settle in the Colorado River Valley and its tributaries as well as in the Delaware River Valley and to settle in the Wyoming Valley.

Westmoreland County immediately deployed two companies to join the Connecticut line of the Continental Army. The compromise ended the Second Yankee-Pennamite War, but Pennsylvania was eventually divided into significant new counties, one of which was Northumberland County, which included the Wyoming Valley, and the other was Westmoreland County.

The first settlers joined colonial Connecticut, which had behaved similarly to Pennsylvania, with land that rivalled Pennsylvania's, where King was known as the "Little King's Colony," and which both Connecticut and Pennsylvania claimed as part of what is now northeastern Pennsylvania. During the summer months, Connecticut settlers began laying the foundations for a new settlement on the Susquehanna River that was similar in size to their Puritan ancestors in New England.

When the city of Westmoreland was founded in 1774 as part of Litchfield County in Connecticut, the city included what later became Bradford County, although the latter eventually successfully established jurisdiction. In 1786, Lucerne County was established by the Pennsylvania General Assembly, and the claims of the settlers of Pennsylvania and Connecticut were eventually settled in accordance with the Trenton Decree. Although the Penn family knew nothing about it, a document issued to Governor John Winthrop Jr in 1662 claimed the western part of Wyoming County and the areas included in Penn's grant.

The Wyoming section of Upper Susquehanna was once called Westmoreland when Connecticut made a claim, but the federal government ruled that the Wyoming Valley belonged to Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Proprietaries conducted a survey of Wyoming in December 1768, seeking to substantiate their claim to northeastern Pennsylvania under the Trenton Decree.

The coal industry in the area began to boom, and it was Wilkes-Barre's development that was driven by the emergence of the Northern Branch Canal. Between 1828 and 1832, the northern arm of the Pennsylvania canal system was built and connected to a transportation system with Wilks - Barre and its coal deposits - that made mining profitable on a large scale. The Anthracitans of the valley reached Baltimore and Philadelphia through an increasing number of canals, often connected to the first railroad lines built in the Mid-Atlantic.

Indian trading post at Mill Creek, founded by Pennsylvania in 1765, and the coal discovered in the area were sent to England for analysis. Anthracite coal from northeastern Pennsylvania entered the markets through the Schuylkill Canal, which opened in 1825. In 1826, 119 Susquehanna Company settlers came to Wilkes-Barre to plant grain and build houses before returning to Connecticut for the rest of their lives.

The Susquehanna Company's plan was to survey the surrounding Wyoming Valley and divide the city into 240 Connecticut settlers. Wilkes - Barre and the Wyoming Valley were framed by the Schuylkill River and its tributaries, the Allegheny River, and the Delaware River.

More About Wilkes-Barre

More About Wilkes-Barre